Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judijerpen_gw

Where's the blooms?

judijerpen
15 years ago

Why don't my daffodils produce any blooms? We live in z6aOH area (southeastern Ohio), clay soil, used bone meal and have planted over 100 quality bulbs and two (2) have made a bloom. What's up? Please help.

Comments (3)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

When did you plant them?

How deep? (approximately)

How close? (approximately)

What month/date (approximately) did you plant?

If you planted a mix, chances are that some are just later varieties and will maybe bloom later. If you part the foliage, you 'might' see there is a bud formed way dawn at the bottom that is just emerging.

There are numerous reasons why daffs do not bloom.

Here are some of the more common reasons taken from the link below, where there are more reasons listed.
    1. Bulbs have not been 'fed' in a couple of years (a broadcast of 5-10-10 granules at planting, when leaves emerge, and again at bloom is a reasonable feeding schedule.)

2. Feeding has been with a high-nitrogen fertilizer. (This encourages production of leaves, but seems to quell the plant's need for flowers.)

3. Bulbs are planted in a shady area. (Daffodils need an half-day of sun at least to produce flowers. If planted in partial sun, longer.)

4. Bulbs are in competition for food with other plants. (Planting under evergreen trees or with other fast-growing plants limits the food they can get. Result: weak plants and no flowers.)

5. Bulbs are planted in an area with poor drainage. (Daffodils love water but must have good drainage. They do not do well where the water puddles. There, they are weakened by "basal rot" fungus or other evils and die out. Plants infected with basal rot have green color loss on the leaves, malformed leaves, stems, and flowers - or all. Basal rot is incurable - dig and discard the bulbs.)

So, in reading all of the various reason why daffs don't bloom, might you have any ideas why yours didn't?

What names did you plant, or were they mixed packs? Some are hardier than others.

I planted several new to me varieties last fall, that are not going to bloom this season. I acquired them from various places, ie local Daff Soc bulb sales and trading. I suspect they were just too small and are settling in this season and will reward me big time next spring. Several were planted quite late too, so that might be part of my non blooming problem.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: (ADS) Daffodils Not Blooming?

• onemoreplant
    15 years ago

Last year the yard man mowed down the daffodil stems before they were dead causing them to not bloom this year. Is there anyway to bring back the blooms?

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

Last year the yard man mowed down the daffodil stems before they were dead causing them to not bloom this year. Is there anyway to bring back the blooms?
    If this spring's foliage is left in place, they should bloom next spring just fine, unless there are other problems, like I mentioned above, or at the link.

Sue

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH