Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mystery plant, possible bulb??

Posted by tooslim NC 7b (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 17, 08 at 11:32

I know this is a long shot, but here goes...Hubby and I were at the Biltmore Estate which has an extraordinary garden. And of course they put name tags on on the common plants (!!!!) but not the uncommon ones. We could not find a garden worker. I believe it may have been a bulb, like a tulip. The foliage was thin green, thinner than daffodil. The flower was medium yellow, 6 petals,if you looked down from the top it looked like 2 triangles inverted on each other. The bud was reddish/orange on the outside, but the flower opened to the yellow on the inside. It was so pretty I would love to plant it but remains a mystery. Any guesses out there????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mystery plant, possible bulb??

No Idea, but i too would love to know. You might try asking at the link below. Those folks are the greatest even with just a description as you have here. You might include the approximate height too, if you know it.

I've always wanted to tour Biltmore Estate , especially in the Spring. Did you possibly get some pics to share?...hint, hint.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Name That Plant Forum

o

You don't say WHEN you were at Biltmore, but if it was in summertime, it sounds like Tigridia Pavonia (although it would look like three triangles). You can see a picture of them at BRENTANDBECKYSBULBS.com.

o

Do they look like on a link below?
If yes, they are indeed, tigridia pavonia.
Anual, except z10.
Flowers are numerous, but each flower live one day only.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tigridia

o
RE: Mystery plant,from Bulbs

I have a plant I need help identifying. I bought it at a garden center on sale with no name or tag. It is a 3 blub plant with the bulbs exposed on top of the soil and it bloomed in April with a pretty blue flower similar to an agapanthus (Lily of the Nile)except the stem was not erect and was more airy and with just a few flowers in the cluster. It did not die back completely after blooming and I overwintered it in the greenhouse. It bloomed again in April of this year. It is not doing well in our Texas heat and the foliage is dying now. I do not know how to help it since I do not know what it is. Can anyone help?

o

Bobbie we really need a picture. Why do you not start your own thread? Did you already try the name that plant forum? Al

o

• Posted by izhar Karachi 11a (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 29, 11 at 2:40

This is a very old thread Bobbie, Al is right you should take the advice. However, your plant may be a Society Garlic?

Photobucket

o
Tulipa clusiana 'chrysantha.'

I don't know if it is still of any help to the author of this post, but the description sounds strikingly familiar to a species tulip, Tulipa clusiana "chrysantha."

They look like tulips because they are indeed tulips, but since they are small and have very thin, blade-like leaves, and pointy petals, that would throw some people off who are used to seeing the traditional cup-shaped hybridized tulips.

But they are indeed red/orange and yellow exactly like the description. Quite easy to grow, too.

Hope it can help now, some 3 years later!

o

Bobbie's plant could be Brodiaea.

o

If it is a Brodaiea then it would be losing its leaves in summer. Going dormant to miss the heat and drought.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here