Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
simcan

So what is your definitive (Spring) crocus transplant advice?

simcan
12 years ago

I am looking to transplant a number of crocuses in my garden. They are scattered here and there, which is nice, but I am looking to move them and concentrate them in my front garden for greater impact. There is a surprising lack of clarity/consistency online about the right timing for this; I think the general advice is to wait for the foliage to die back, indicating dormancy, and do it then. Others suggest waiting to Fall, but this would only work for me if there is a Fall flush of foliage since I will never remember where they are.

So, anyway, what should I do?

Comments (3)

• wvbetsy
    12 years ago

I dig them when they are dormant. Sometimes I replant them right away and other times I wait til fall to replant. Either way works well for me. If I waited til fall to dig them, I wouldn't remember which ones I wanted to move.

• ladychroe
    12 years ago

I would leave them where they are and buy a whole NEW bunch of crocus bulbs! The more the merrier!

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

Crocus are cheap, I second Ladychroe's advice.

However, I move bulbs after they are done flowering to make sure I don't chop into other bulbs when planting them again. I do not wait until fall.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?