Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
So what is your definitive (Spring) crocus transplant advice?

Posted by simcan z5b/Toronto (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 8, 11 at 11:34

I am looking to transplant a number of crocuses in my garden. They are scattered here and there, which is nice, but I am looking to move them and concentrate them in my front garden for greater impact. There is a surprising lack of clarity/consistency online about the right timing for this; I think the general advice is to wait for the foliage to die back, indicating dormancy, and do it then. Others suggest waiting to Fall, but this would only work for me if there is a Fall flush of foliage since I will never remember where they are.

So, anyway, what should I do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: So what is your definitive (Spring) crocus transplant advice?

I dig them when they are dormant. Sometimes I replant them right away and other times I wait til fall to replant. Either way works well for me. If I waited til fall to dig them, I wouldn't remember which ones I wanted to move.

o

I would leave them where they are and buy a whole NEW bunch of crocus bulbs! The more the merrier!

o

Crocus are cheap, I second Ladychroe's advice.

However, I move bulbs after they are done flowering to make sure I don't chop into other bulbs when planting them again. I do not wait until fall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here