Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do with Ranunculus after it goes dormant?

Posted by Mauru 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 11:41

I bought a Ranunculus this spring and it did very well. It had beautiful blooms until the heat came. I do know that Ranunculus goes dormant over the summer. However, this is where my dilemma comes in.

Should I leave the Ranunculus there without digging it up? Will it come back in fall? Or will it come back until the next spring?

If I had to dig up the plant and get it's bulbs, should I plant them in fall or should I wait until next spring?

I really like this plant; even so it only blooms for a short period of time for me. Also, I do know that bulbs that come from the same plant will not grow up to be exact replicates from the mother plant, but I would not mind that at all. I would love some variety.

This post was edited by Mauru on Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 20:39

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do with Ranunculus after it goes dormant?

If I leave mine in the ground, they return every year. If I want more plants, or to move them, I dig them up when dormant. Most can be separated to about 3 for every root, just kind of unwind them with a crown on each one. I replant during our warm wet winter( I am lucky to have good drainage) and they grow in the spring. They are just about at the end of their bloom now. Al

o
RE: What to do with Ranunculus after it goes dormant?

In zone 8 I think you will need to overwinter it inside.

I lose some in warm end of zone 9 if we have a cold winter.

Also, your increases will be the same as the 'mother'.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here