Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
more help on bulb timing

Posted by trailer_gal z4 ND (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 9, 09 at 11:42

A few weeks back I wrote needing advice about timing the bulbs that I got at Walmart that were just coming up at that time. I needed them to be blooming April 17. The hyacinth are at a point of showing what color they will be, pink or lilac and I am wondering if they are going a little too fast and will be spent by the April 17. How long does the bloom on the hyacinth last? I will take them out of the sun and out from under the grow lights. Should I also put them in a cool, dark room? I have a room that could be kept at 50 or 60 and pretty dark. The tulips and daffodils are not showing any flower coming up the stem. Some do have a bit of a bulge. They might not make it on time but will keep them in sunny windows and grow lights.
Thanks for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: more help on bulb timing

Forgot to mention, we have a garage that stays about 40 degrees. Would that be an option to slow bloom development?

o

The hyacinth are at a point of showing what color they will be, pink or lilac and I am wondering if they are going a little too fast and will be spent by the April 17.
They will probably be fine. What I would do with them, is let them mature a good bit until they are nearly in full bloom. Then put them in the garage and dark would be best.
That should 'hold' them at that point for several days. They should then be very pretty and fragrant for the 17th and not immediately decline.

I know your bulbs are potted but below is a pic of 4 daffodil blooms after they been picked and stored in the cool dark basement for 5 1/2 days. I was really surprised at how well the blooms stayed nice after being cut that long.

Daffs-the ones I did not show...sigh

hth. Good luck!

Sue

o

Thanks for answering so soon, Sue. I will take them out of the cool, no sun room and put them back in the sun and grow light room until they are in bloom. Then to the garage. Your daffodils really did stay beautiful by keeping them that way.
I now do see that the white tulips are starting to show maybe some color, or at least a real bud. I may be keeping them too warm as they are under lights or else in bright windows because I want them to hurry up. I can see the white tulips are already getting a bit leggy, probably from being so warm. Daffodils are still nice and compact but no sign of blooming. It is going to be an adventure. Thanks again for answering.
Sherry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here