Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hyacinths with not stems!

Posted by elbereth (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 13, 09 at 11:47

Hi,

I have some hyacinths growing in a pot with good drainage, planted 2 inches deep. They spent the winter in an insulated box on the balcony. Temperatures were very low here in Toronto this winter. All the bulbs produced sprouts, only two produced a good amount of leaves and the only one that bloomed started flowering before clearing its leaves. The stalk is tiny and there are very few flowers. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Thanks,

elbereth

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hyacinths with not stems!

I planted a lot of Hyacinths last winter that had been forced for Christmas and they have very few blooms this spring; the blooms they did make I took off so the bulb puts more energy into the leaves and roots.

I can't say for sure, but maybe the blubs you planted didn't have enough stored energy for a ton of blooms this year, they will be a lot better come next spring.

o
RE: Hyacinths with not stems!

Growing bulbs in containers is too tricky. If they freeze and thaw they can rot

If you want hyacinth's for their flowers and fragrance,(and who wouldn't?) put them in the ground. Put them under a deciduous shrub that will help hide the dying foliage later. To preserve best bloom yearly, cut the entire dying flower stalk off to conserve energy, redirected from seeding to building a stronger bulb.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here