Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bulbs---Greens but no flowers?

Posted by rubyl none (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 15, 12 at 11:49

I planted some bulbs (which I believe were some kind of amaryllis) about 10 years ago. Every year I get lots of lovely green leaves, but have NEVER had a shoot with a flower on it. Could I have planted the bulbs too shallow/deep? I would love to see what these bulbs can produce! Many thanks~

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bulbs---Greens but no flowers?

How much sun do they get? Nerines, for example, need a good summer baking and plenty of sun for most of the day.

Do you mulch around them? Or feed them with a high nitrogen fertiliser? Less kindness and a serving of wood ash could be useful.

o

Also, the amaryllis needs plenty of fertilizer (not too much nitrogen, but lots of nutrition and good bulb and flower feed)You can use a bloom booster or flowering plant fertilizer and composted manure mixed into the soil and watering during dry spells will help make the bulb plenty plump. (I bring mine inside and put them into a dark closet for 6wks, then bring them out, water and watch them bloom, but I have had them not bloom when they were dry and not fertilized well in early to mid summer and looked lean when bringing them in.

o

Ruby if you would edit your name to indicate your location or zone it would help you get good advice. For you to grow amaryllis in the ground year around I will guess your zone is similar to mine. Mine bloom reliable in average garden soil with average water and sun. They are planted with 2/3 of the bulb under the soil. The soil has compost added yearly, but no fertilizer. Mine were Christmas time forced bulbs planted after the bloom into the garden. Al

o
more bud blast this year?

It looks like there will be a lot more of this - but of course we have had weird weather. Are other people experiencing this?

Do we know if daffs which blast this year might recover and bloom another year? If you look "bud blast" up on the internet you get a wide range of why this MAY happen!

Deborah

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here