Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Your favorite ultra-early-blooming daffodil?

Posted by ladychroe z6 NJ (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 23, 07 at 11:54

I'm tired of waiting ages for my daffodils to bloom. I must have all late-blooming kinds, because except for yucky Rip Van Winkle, I have to wait until late April to see any color. I've seen other people's daffodils bloom in my area as early as March. What do you have that comes up early?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Your favorite ultra-early-blooming daffodil?

My favorite is Tete a tete. It's a miniature, I have drifts of them planted in my flower beds. They are one of the earliest Daffs to bloom. When they start I know spring is here! I also have clumps of double Daffs that were here when I moved in. Have no idea what they are . They bloom close to 2 months.

Jen

o

'Little Gem' blooms before Tete'a-tete. 'Rijinveld Early Sensation blooms almost the same time as 'Little Gem' but it is not as dainty as 'Little Gem'.

These bulbs bloom in this order in my garden----sorta...since they overlap somewhat:
Snowdrops -Eranthis -Iris reticulata-crocus-N. 'Little Gem'-----

o

Bump! :-)

o

Odorus campernelli. This is nearly always my very first daffodil to bloom: typically by the first week of February. (note that I do live in zone 7b). It is lovely in every way. The clusters of trumpets are dainty, but show from a long distance, the foliage is very thin, and best of all, the blooms can last six weeks or more in the chill of late winter.

o

I used to grow Peeping Tom and it was super early and bloomed a long time.

o

My earliest is February Gold which blooms in January most years here. At least 3 weeks before Tete a tete.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here