Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lagenaria_va

New to Daffodils - Any Idea of Name?

lagenaria_va
14 years ago

We bought an old pick-your-own flower farm in the fall, and we had no idea of what was here.

Well, the daffodils are up, and I know nothing about them, so I thought I'd see if anyone can identify any. It's really just idle curiosity - I love them no matter what.

Let me know if you need more info on sizes, etc. Or if you're in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia and would like to see them in person, let me know!

-Stacey

Here is a link that might be useful: our daffodils

Comments (14)

• hostalover360
    14 years ago

I'm not sure the varities on all of those, but I am pretty sure that one daffodil in your picture with the white petals and wide yellow cup is Ice Follie Daffodil Here is what mine looks like

{{gwi:11791}}
    Taken today. Hope I helped at least a little bit, I hope you find answers from others about those other Daffodils.

• iris_gal
    14 years ago

The middle one on the right may be Mount Hood. An old white one.

• Nancy
    14 years ago

How about Ice King for the white double one?

• lagenaria_va
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, thank you all!!

I looked at all of the varieties you mentioned, and all 3 seem to be spot on. Yay!!

I created a big mixed daffodil bouquet yesterday, and they smell absolutely wonderful.

• Nancy
    14 years ago

I meant to suggest your checking out daffseek, part of the daffodil society. You can plug in data you have, of course you have to know the different types of daffs. Here is a link for the daff society, if you need more info on types of daffs, there is a link at the top of the daffseek page that takes you back to the American Daff Society where you can get more info. Chemocurl showed me this link & it has really been helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Daffseek

• iris_gal
    14 years ago

Fragrant Breeze is one to check for the upper left or/and lower right corner pics. It has the bit of yellow on the perinthe petals at the trumpet base.

Ice Follies is a reliable vigorous cultivar. Its yellow cup fades almost to white as it ages. Very pretty at all stages.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

I'm not seeing anything that looks like Ice Follies to me.

Sue

• lagenaria_va
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for daffseek and for more variety names!

I'm still out of town for Easter, but when I get back today I'll do some more comparisons and try to name them.

• lagenaria_va
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've added more pictures of what I think is the one that most has me stumped. This is also the one that is planted by the thousands around the property. I think 75% of them bloomed in the last two days!

I'm looking through daffseek. There are a lot with the specifications I provided, but it's neat to see so many pretty flowers:)

-Stacey

Here is a link that might be useful: Daffodils in Question

• iris_gal
    14 years ago

If this is the same daff as in your orig grp of six photos (upper left and lower right - or are those 2 different?).

It looked like a large cup class. But now you need to measure the length of one perinthe petal (outer white). If the cup depth is 1/3 or more the length of the the perinthe, it's a large cup. If it's less than 1/3 it's a small cup (classification grp 3 I believe). That will at least get you into the right class to search.

I agree with Chemocurl re Ice Follies. It's cup may not be deep but it's wider than what I see in your photos and the color change is very pronounced. At least here. Don't think I've photographed it in the latter stages.

Here's a link to some small cupped varieties. Van Engelen seems to carry tried and true. Check out their large cup selection too.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.vanengelen.com/catview.cgi?_fn=Product&_category=Narcissi:SmallCupped

• lagenaria_va
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks! I'll do that and then keep searching :)

They are the same flower as in two of the original pictures. Comparing the cup just to the Mount Hood, it's small, but I'll get measurements to ensure.

• paddlehikeva
    14 years ago

I am not sure where you are in the Valley, but there are a couple of shows in Virginia over the next few days. There is usually someone there that can help ID.

April 07- 08, Sweet Briar, Virginia
    The Garden Club of VirginiaÂs 76th Annual Daffodil Show at The Florence Elston Inn and Conference Center at Sweet Briar College, 450 Sweet Briar, VA 24595.
    Contact: Melanie Christian, (434) 384-1881 mschristian@gmail.com

April 13, Upperville, Virginia
    Upperville Garden Club Daffodil Show at Buchanan Hall, 8649 John S. Mosby Highway, Upperville, VA.
    Contact: Diane Ingoe (540) 338-5610, dianeingoe@rstarmail.com

and if you want to travel to MD:

April 10-11, Wheaton, Maryland
    Washington Daffodil Society Show at Brookside Gardens, 1800 Glenallan Avenue, Wheaton, MD.

I hope to make it to Upperville on the 13th.

Kathy - a daffodil addict in the piedmont of Virginia

Here is a link that might be useful: ADS show schedule

• jeanne
    14 years ago

The first one looks like Flower Record to me. I agree with Sue, I don't see Ice Follies either. The one with pale yellow petals and yellow cup looks more like California.

Compare your last one to Queen of the North. The cup looks a little large, but in some of the pictures they look very similar.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google image results

• lagenaria_va
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Kathy! I don't think I can make it to a show this year, but I'll keep that in mind for next year. A friend and I love to go to flower shows.

I'm in the Northern part of the valley, but with family and friends all over, I'm always up for traveling through our beautiful state :)

I need to post more pictures just of the masses of the unidentified daffodil. They're absolutely beautiful, and while the bigger ones suffered in the heat last week, these are still upright and fresh!

I do want to add more... maybe some of the "traditional" yellow with the deep cup.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!