Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hyacinth Emergency- Please help

Posted by jannie z7 LI NY (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 19, 11 at 12:21

Many years ago (25-30) I planted hyacinths near my patio. They didn't do well, in fact they kept getting mowed down when the grass was cut, so I gave up. About 5 years ago, I dug up the area, gave it a proper fence and made it my herb garden. The herbs are doing fine. But just this week I noticed a blue hyacinth had popped up. I want to move it immediately to a safer place with other bulb flowers (hyacinths and daffodils). I know I'll be moving it this week, before May 1, here in Long Island Zone 7. Any tips for keeping it alive? It's such an "heroic" little thing, I don't want to lose it. Please post here. Don't send an email-my email account is closed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
re: hyacinths

No answer is necessary-I have to dig it up because I'm having the whole area tilled next month, in about 2 weeks. So I'll just take my chances and go against the "conventional wisdom". Didn't somebody say you can't be considered a real gardener untill you've killed everything three times?

o
RE: Hyacinth Emergency- Please help

Just dig it up, transplant and water. It will be fine.

o

That's amazing.

o

Just moving it may cause it stress so try to take a large root ball that is part of the planting hole and put it where it can continue to do its thing. If not able to re-plant in the ground, then pot them up and re-plant at the earliest time. They must be allowed to send their starches back down into the bulb so it can re-appear next spring.
Do any digging in the early morning, on a cloudy day or when rain is forecast and water the plant immediately after re-planting. In a pot, water the bulb to drainage, dump the excess and water as you would any other potted plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here