Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moving tulips and daffs now?

Posted by melaroma 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 25, 10 at 12:22

I planted daffs and tulips in my mostly empty bed last fall to have something this spring. After I had planted about half of them I had the idea to plant the rest in pots and bury them in the bed. Now it's time to plant my perennials in that bed but I need to move the bulbs I planted directly. Do I wait until the foilage dries up or can I do it right after they are done blooming? Also do I put them back to bed with bulb food or wait until fall to feed them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moving tulips and daffs now?

Let the foliage die naturally. As long as it is green, it feeds the bulbs for the next season. You can add bone meal or Bulb-tone at the time of planting.

If your tulips are not species or Darwin hybrids, they will probably not return next year anyway. Just one more thing to consider if you are going to move them...

o

If your tulips are not species or Darwin hybrids, they will probably not return next year anyway. Just one more thing to consider if you are going to move them...
I'll second that. Unless they are Darwin's or species, they likely would not be worth your time and trouble to dig them. They will just send up nice looking foliage in the years to come with just a bloom or two, here and there.

Sue

o

Oh boy, I will have to look that up. I had no idea that some kinds do not come back and flower. Thanks guys!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here