Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lycoris in my zone 7 garden

Posted by geoforce z7a SE PA (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 7, 14 at 12:28

I've had the pink lycoris (L. squamigera) in my gardens for years and decided to try some of the others which may or may not be hardy here. I planted one bulb of L. radiate last fall as a test, and it survived the winter (maybe one a bit worse than our average) with flying colors, so I ordered in more bulbs of it as also some others which might be hardy in this zone.

L. chinensis is reported to be fine here and also L. springier, and I couldn't resist trying L aura, though I have grave doubts if it will survive.

Hoping for the best.

George

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lycoris in my zone 7 garden

Lycoris squamigera, L. longituba, L. chinensis and L. sprengeri are all perfectly hardy for me. I have never tried L. radiata, but I have always read it was hardy to zone 7 anyway? The problem with it in my zone is that it produces foliage in autumn which can then be damaged or killed by the multiple freeze-thaw cycles of winter and early spring, and this is said to weaken and eventually kill the bulb. However, in areas that consistently have good, deep, reliable snow cover that protects the foliage, I imagine L. radiata could survive and thrive in much colder zones. Good luck with your experiments!

o

In Oklahoma I had chinensis, radiata, sprengeri, aurea, all successfully. This year with the alternate freeze thaw that the poster above mentioned (and being in the deep freeze for long periods), I lost the radiata foliage in mid to late December.

o

Plant Delights sells a L. aurea from Guizhou, China that they claim is hardy in zone 7. The commercial form commonly available from big bulb vendors is not. The bulb will survive, but the foliage is destroyed by temperatures in the mid 20s. Consequently, the bulb gets smaller and weaker each year and never flowers.

This winter, our low was 6 F. The foliage survived on all of my L. radiata. Some plants looked pretty bad afterwards, but others had spotless foliage. Presumably, there is some variability in the hardiness of different clones

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here