Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
efeuer

Spanish bluebells

Liz
11 years ago

I am trying to reclaim a long neglected woodsy garden. It was badly overgrown with vines and weed trees, and last summer I chopped off the vines and thinned out some of the trees. This spring, I discovered a long neglected stand of Spanish bluebells. They have been blooming so little over the past years, that I had forgotten all about them. There is a lot of vegetative growth, however, and they have spread quite nicely. Is there anything I can do to encourage more bloom? Should I expect that they will bloom better now that some of the shade has been removed?

Comments (3)

• Donna
    11 years ago

I would think so. They like partial shade, but don't do as well in full shade.

You might give them a topdressing of compost or manure too. And of course, if the clumps are really big, they might appreciate being divided.

I know some parts of the country consider them to be invasive, but I dearly love them and have not found that to be the case here.

• jean001a
    11 years ago

Now that they have more light, likely they'll do fine on your own.

• ontnative
    11 years ago

Yes, they are considered invasive in many areas, now. Depending on where they are growing, they tend to be vigorous and crowd out the native plants such as bloodroot, trilliums, and others.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County