Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rabbit & sunlover chameleon double tulips

Posted by buttercupia zone4 IA (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 5, 12 at 12:41

I planted 10 double yellow(suppossed to turn red or orange)sunlover chameleon tulips last fall. They are huge and beautiful. Today, I found two of the flowers on the ground next to their plants. Boo hoo. The rabbit must have cut them thinking "Hey, these are big and pretty, maybe they taste good too!" Then he left them lay. (He tried two just to make sure he didn't like them) At least he left about 4" of stem on the flowers so I could bring them in and put in a small vase. (I have a couple of 6-8" tall small vases that make it easy to fill with just a couple of flowers.. and enjoy. Any body else have rabbit-tulip woes? Will this keep happening? Should I put liquid fence on the stems?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rabbit & sunlover chameleon double tulips

Tulips are a favorite of most any herbivore -- rabbits, deer, groundhogs, voles, etc. I've basically given up even trying in my yard, I just plant tulips to force in pots over the winter. It's just a waste of money for me to plant something that will either 1) be eaten underground during the fall or winter by voles or 2) be eaten by some grazing animal as soon as it pops up in the spring. It's very disheartening to have plants with buds one day, and find just stubs the next.

For color in the yard, I plant things that generally animals leave alone -- daffs/narcissus, alliums, fritilaria, hyacinths.

o
RE: rabbit & sunlover chameleon double tulips

Well, I suppose I should feel fortunate that the rabbit only chopped off 2 tulips and left them for me to bring in the house. there are 8 more out there...I've got lots of tulips and nothing has ever bothered them before. Maybe the local passing stray cats take care of the most of the tulip eaters. No deer here in town.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here