Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tulips in pot ready to bloom, should I plant them?

Posted by sirens 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 5, 10 at 12:59

I know nothing about bulbs. About a week ago, I bought 6 small potted tulips. Just green stalks showing. I didn't know what to do with them, so I sat them outside in their pots.

I see today, that they have blooms about to open.

Should I put them into the flowerbed - if so, when? Or should I leave them in the pots until they are through blooming?

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tulips in pot ready to bloom, should I plant them?

It's whatever suits you for display at this point. They've grown their root mass.

If they are Darwin type and you wanted them to naturalize, color placement is easier in bloom. But I doubt the nursery trade uses Darwins for potting.

o

So it won't hurt them if I carefully take them out of the pot and plant them into the flower bed?

I wasn't sure I could do that without destroying the plant...

o

Sure you can! In fact, it is becoming very common these days for nurseries/garden centers and even grocery stores to sell started spring flowering bulbs (and not gift ones) at this time of year. They are specifically intended to be planted into the landscape and are a boon to those who want instant spring color or forgot to plant bulbs in the fall.

Just be careful not to disturb the roots unncessarily.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here