Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gladiolus Bulbs & Fall/Winter

Posted by aztomn SE MN 4a (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 29, 10 at 13:04

My six old daughter talked me into buying Gladiolus bulbs and I wanted to know if you leave them in the ground through the winter? Do they need to be stored away or is -20F for a few months just fine with them? Honestly I have no idea how ANYTHING lives through a Minnesota winter (exluding "Norwegian Bachelor Farmers")! :)

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gladiolus Bulbs & Fall/Winter

You will have to dig them up after first frost. Asiatic Lilies and Peonies are reliably hardy in your zone.

o

Yes, they definitely have to be dug up here - unlike the Norwegian bachelor farmers. LOL

Glads do well here - however, plant them a little deeper than the package recommends and plant them in a clump closer together than the package recommends. Nothing looks worse than a straight line of glads all flopping over because the flower stalk is so heavy.

Also - I'll suffer the slings and arrows of being lazy and non-thrifty. I don't always plant glads, but when I do I enjoy them for the season, use them as cut flowers for the house and don't dig them up or spend time and energy trying to store them. A package of glads is very inexpensive at the big box stores - the packs of Gladiolus Grandiflora come in an array of beautiful colors at Menard's, HD, Lowes, etc.

o

Dig them up and enjoy them next year, within a few years you will need to find a home for all the extras unless you have a lot of room.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here