Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Daffodil and Tulip Bulbs from Scheepers (pics)

newyorkrita
13 years ago

Last fall I after I finished having my terracing done in my front yard I planted a mixed trumpet daffodil mix from Scheepers and mixed early tulips from Scheepers in the front yard.

The daffs are blooming and the early tulips are just starting.

{{gwi:12038}}

{{gwi:12039}}

{{gwi:12040}}

{{gwi:12041}}

{{gwi:12042}}

{{gwi:12043}}

{{gwi:12044}}

{{gwi:12045}}

Comments (11)

• kterlep
    13 years ago

the daffs look like the garden lady in Alice in Wonderland. Love it. :)

• jannie
    13 years ago

Wonderful garden! I love the "steppes"!

• goren
    13 years ago

Very lovely, and I'm sure a lot of people pass and remark about them.......but...
    comes the Man in Black.....what do you do when the bulbs have finished blooming in the space of a few weeks.
    Do you intend to want the garden to return next year...and let the foliage die back, go brown and wither or, do you use these bulbs as a once-they're gone in flower, they go to the compost pile and you begin again with fresh stock next fall.

This is just a kind reminder that foliage such as bulbs do not look good in a garden once the withering takes place.
    Amongst other plants they often can be hidden...foliage can be folded down--not removed--and let their starches and sugars go back down into the bulb so they can return next spring.
    This is one of the main reasons why some people refuse to plant bulbs....they don't look kindly on the die-back and when you consider the bloom only lasts so short a time, the color that erupts has to fulfill the planters' cup and makes them glad they took the time to plant bulbs in the fall.

• faerygardener z7 CA
    13 years ago

Rita - that's gorgeous - I'm jusy going to have to order that mix from Scheepers this fall (not averse to nature's cycles here). Love the terracing in the front - congrats on getting that done, hardscape can be such a nightmare to install and yours came out beautifully. I hope you do leave the bulbs and let them come back for you next year.

Here is a link that might be useful: mists and enchantments my blog

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

Great display. Love the dry stone wall.

• izharhaq
    13 years ago

What a wonderful display.. thanks for sharing..

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

Love the daffodil mix and especially love the stacked stone wall.

You've got daylilies planted to help hide the dying bulb foliage don't you?

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I certainly am not going to be digging up those bulbs, they were enough work to get planted last fall. Plus I want them to return each year so I can have a spring show each year.

I love spring bulbs, they produce lots of bloom and flowers at a time not much is going on in the garden. I have wanted to plant a large grouping for a long time now and just got to the point in my garden when I was ready to do it. I have bulbs elsewhere, (not as many as this) and daffs around the garden so I know how their follage dies back.

As far as the folliage dying back and looking messy, I have had bulbs before and while their folliage doesn't look great while it dries out and turns brown, I don't think it's as much of a big deal as the above Poster has pointed out. I just ignore the old folliage after I cut or pinch off any developing seed heads. Eventually the folliage all dissappears anyway. I never lay down, cut or do anything else to the folliage as I want it to set next years bulbs.

I intend to plant Zinnias in those two belgium block planters were the daffs are accross the front. Also intend to plant zinnias up on top were the bulbs are at the foot of the trellis shown in my other post oif bulbs blooming now in my yard. I am not going to be cutting back any folliage, just sticking started plants between those daff leaves.

The tulips along the front are planted in back of and between two rows of daylilies. The leaves on those daylilies are still not compleatly grown out. I am sure that the daylilies will hide the tulip folliage nicely.

Thank you all for the compliments. I am so pleased with the way that it all looks and enjoying the spring show so much.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    13 years ago

great pictures, love the daffodil closeups!

• pippi21
    12 years ago

"Beautiful, Beautiful, Beautiful!" As Lawrence Welk would say.
    Boy, I bet your hand hurt after using the bulb planter after all of that planting. How are your lupines doing this year? When do they bloom? I WS lupines and maybe I planted them in the flowerbed too early but they must be a tender plant..they succumbed to either the temps, too much rain or transplant shock. I transplanted the others that I had wintersown into a large nursery pot(probably a gal size)and will let it get much stronger and larger before I plant it in my flowerbeds.
    Lesson learned! We've had so much rain I bet I still have about 30 or more to be planted in my beds. Yesterday afternoon, it was in 80's, then came the hard rains, some hail and thunder and lightning and it rained again last night. It came up so quick, I didn't have chance to put them in the garage to shelter them so they were left under the eaves of the house but I'm sure they got drenched. This morning I elevated the milk crates that the milk jugs of seedlings are in to help with drainage and to give them air circulation. Hopefully the sun will help dry some of that saturated soil up, but they are not in direct sun.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was poofed afer planting all my bulbs last fall. It's not like these ones in front were the only ones I had. I have blubs in the backyard too. It took me over a week to get all my bulbs planted.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH