Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to plant

Posted by rich_manure z6 SEMA (richdelmo@aol.com) on
Mon, Apr 26, 10 at 13:14

I have Iris, Canna, and Dahlia bulbs to plant. We have had above average temperatures this spring so far, so when can I plant these bulbs? I'm in zone 6 in Massachusetts. Thanks...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to plant

For most of them, about 2 to 3 weeks before your expected last frost. Here in my part of Michigan, that translates to around the 10th to 17th of May.

By the time they emerge, no more danger of frost (as a rule).

You can warm the soil and help them along by planting them and then throwing a piece of black plastic over the planting bed (poked full of holes for water to penetrate) for about a week -- really warms the soil.

o
RE: When to plant

I already planted my cannas. I am waiting until the ground has warmed up before planting my Dahlia. I usually plant them well after Mother's Day.
You can plant Iris now. It's a perennial anyway.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here