Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tjsangel

Tell me about winter aconite

tjsangel
18 years ago

Hi,

I love bulbs! I have Daffodils, Iris, Lilies, Liatris, Hyacinths, Crocus & Tulips, and just recently discovered Winter Aconites. I want something that blooms really early, and it looks like it has nice foliage & flowers. Do you recommend them, and if so how do I care for them (sun, shade, soil)? Does the foliage die back quickly? Thanks so much!

Jen

Comments (4)

• pitimpinai
    18 years ago

I love them. I added a couple hundred last fall. They do bloom earlier than other bulbs except Snowdrops (Galanthus). They self sow if happy.

My old clump gets afternoon sun. That area is getting shadier now. That's probably why I finally see seedlings after more than 10 years.

I have planted some new ones under a barberry and another drift under a big hosta. I'll see how they fare next spring.

When I planted these new groups last fall, I didn't even dig up the soil. I just spread the corms on top of the soil then spread compost over them. They bloomed without any problem.

You'll enjoy them. The collar is funny looking. :-)

If you would like other early bloomers, try Galanthus and Dwarf Iris too. They bloom before Crocus. Don't have to worry about rabbits chewing them up either.

• tjsangel
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the info! I think I'll give them a shot. Shade & moist soil would be best?

Jen

• robinsway
    18 years ago

I love aconites too. They seed themselves and spread easily into the lawn, but it really doesn't make much difference because the foliage fades quickly when warm weather arrives. I just mow around them until that happens because I like having a blanket of yellow during February and March. They are not bothered at all by snow.

Pitimpanai is right about planting lots of the bulbs to create the effect of a cluster of gold. You have to start them from bulbs, but they will spread themselves by seeding if the ground is moist in May, when the seed heads ripen. That why, as Pitimpanai points out, they spread much better in a shady spot where the seeds can land in moist, shallow soil. If the seed dries out, then you don't get any new aconites.

As you noted, they like shade, moist soil through June, but also good drainage. They grow on hillsides around the Mediterranean. Once they are happy with your conditions, there is nothing at all to growing them except to let the foliage die back a bit, as with other bulbs.

• leslie197
    18 years ago

Good info Pitimpanai & Hollygrove! I've wondered too. Thanks.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County