Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ALLIUMs- Black tips?

Posted by greyandamy Sw PA (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 16, 11 at 14:06

I haven't been to my friends house recently, but when I was last there, she had numerous ALLIUM bulbs I had given her sprouting. But they were blackened at top. She said she thought they sprouted, then were hit by extreme cold, and she thought they were then regrowing again... I worried more about rot (When I see black tips, I think rot), though I know the soil was well drained (I had planted them)... We've had so so so much rain though.

Has anyone else experienced this with their alliums this year? She had 3 types- Globemaster, a smaller purple (names not in my mind) and the short white ones (Again memory blank)...

Amy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ALLIUMs- Black tips?

Black leaf tips usually suggest overwatering. Where water is around the roots for long periods, the roots stop taking up moisture to the leaves--even if they're standing in it. The first sign of the problem is the leaves, usually the bottom ones first. Maybe digging down around the roots might tell whether the soil there is sopping with water and remedy it.
I cant see sun's power being responsible at this early time of season, its not hot enough.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here