Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tulips not blooming

Posted by beachlover2 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 1, 10 at 14:07

My tulips have been in the ground for 3 years. The first year they bloomed great. The second year they came up and had healthy leaves but no blooms. This year they are up and really green but only two blooms out of a whole row. What is the problem?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tulips not blooming

Most tulips are not the perennial variety and will not return and bloom much after the first good spring bloom. They should just be yanked and treated as annuals.

See this thread for more info... Best Tulip for year after year returns?

I planted 5 Pink Impression (a Darwin Hybrid) in the fall of 2008 and had 5 blooms in 2009. This year those same 5 bulbs are putting up 10 buds.

Sue

o

Beachlover ~ what zone are you?

Tulip bulbs split. When the splits grow large enuf they bloom again. In warm zones they just disappear.

Read the post down the page a bit - Best Tulip for year after year returns?

o

I'm in 7b and have the same problem. I've heard that Tulips really only are "good" for about two years, then you'll need to replace. Is why I don't grow so many of them anymore.

o

I am in Alabama in zone 7.

o

Zone 7 should be excellent for Darwins. Colder winters than here.

Apricot Beauty is my favorite. Unfortunately it's in the triumph group and doesn't give any bloom the 2nd year. I've heard other people in colder zones saying the same. So I'm avoiding triumphs.

It takes some research to find out to what group a tulip belongs. Some Darwins are Appledoorn, Red Impression & Pink Impression.

God luck with the Darwins!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here