Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Nurseries for Daffodils/Hyacinths/Tulips

Posted by jmcbackyarddigger z6b So IL (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 3, 10 at 14:17

I want to purchase bulbs that will in all likelihood bloom the first spring after fall planting

What internet/catalog nurseries would you recommend?

I know about Breck's and Dutch Gardens. But are their others.

The reason I ask is that not every nursery offers the specific bulbs that I am looking for.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Nurseries for Daffodils/Hyacinths/Tulips

Brent and Becky's bulbs and Colorblends both great places for bulbs!

o

There's also Spring Hill Nurseries.

o

I really like Van Engelens. I have ordered from them for the past 10 years and have been 100% happy. Everything blooms the following spring. I also had ordered from Blooming Bulb and was happy with my order. Happy shopping Cindy

o

jmc,

David Burdick has a good selection of lesser known varieties.

Odyssey Bulbs is another. http://www.odysseybulbs.com/

Mike519

o

Last year I ordered tulip bulbs from Brent and Becky's, American Meadows, and tulips.com and almost every bulb I planted came up; the only ones that were in questionable condition when I got them were the Paul Sherrers, which looked moldy. On the other hand I placed an order with Michigan Bulb and they couldn't or wouldn't fill it in a reasonable amount of time, and canceled the whole order. -_- I found out after trying to order from them that they have a bad reputation.

o

Brent and Becky's is a great company with fair prices. Avoid Michigan Bulb, Spring Hill and Brecks: They may be cheaper but the quality is poor. Check ratings at gardenwatchdog before you buy.

o

I second the suggestion for Van Engelen for all kinds of bulbs, or try their sister company John Scheepers if you want a smaller quantity. I add more bulbs every year and they're always nice quality with good results.

o

Brent and Becky's!

o

I agree with everyone

I've started moving toward Colorblends over Van Engelen when possible. Last fall I ordered the same amaryllis from both and some of the same tulips. Colorblends gave me bigger bulbs and more dramatic blooms. I wish CB would list the variety names in their blends but I have not once been disappointed.

I ordered alliums from Netherland Bulb co. and was literally stunned with the size, and quality of their bulbs. They are up and budding now. I can't say the same about VE's alliums in the past. I haven't ordered other bulbs from Netherland but have heard they are good and no one mentioned them

happy planting!
c

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here