Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie Here...Tulips Bloomed....What to Add?

Posted by arubaiguana none (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 29, 11 at 14:18

Hi all,

I planted some tulip bulbs and Iris Hollandica bulbs (all from Costco) in the fall. The tulips have come up and bloomed and look great. Iris shoots are up (in front of the tulips) but the irises don't look to be close to blooming. And the tips of the shoots are yellow. Is that a bad sign?

Tomorrow I'll be buying some annuals to plant in front of the tulips and irises. What do you guys and girls suggest? I'm in the Baltimore, Maryland area. Garden gets a decent amount of sun, mostly in morning to midday.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie Here...Tulips Bloomed....What to Add?

Don't those look pretty! Petunias will give you a lot of bang for the buck. Zinnias come in different heights. I partiicularly like 'Profusion Cherry' - the small blooms are prolific and the plant branches & grows til fall.

o
RE: Newbie Here...Tulips Bloomed....What to Add?

I've never tried those irises, but from growing Tall Bearded ones I can tell you that irises should not have yellow tops to their leaves. Right now they should not be blooming yet, though yours should be a little closer to producing the stem in Baltimore. The stem of a tall bearded iris comes from one of the spiky leaves that might seem a little fuller than the others. If the tops of the leaves are turning yellow though, you may not get a bloom. Usually yellowing means you have a water issue (too much or too little). If they're bulbs and not rhiozomes, they probably have different growing requirements. I'm sure some of the experts at the American Iris Society would be happy to help you whether or not you're a member. They have local organizations as well so you might find someone in Baltimore even.

As for annuals, I love Lantana. It comes in a bunch of different colors, and smells like citrus. Pansies are great for borders, and Mandevilla is a gorgeous vining plant that will soak up as much sun as you can give it. Lots of people have it climb on mailboxes and trellises. I have mine potted so I can winter it over indoors and keep it as a perennial.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here