Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Pink Tulip

Posted by jmcbackyarddigger z6b So IL (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 3, 10 at 14:20

I'm in search for a deep, rich pink tulip to plant this fall.

What is the name of the pink tulip you would recommend, and where can I get it?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Pink Tulip

I like Picture tulips because of the ruffly shape, but they're a light pink, not a deep one. Do you want them to perennialize? If so, try a darwin hybrid like apeldoorn (almost red) or pink impression (lighter).

o

Your request was all I needed to surf over to Colorblends.

Surprisingly few rich pinks. The two I liked had a mauve cast.

I'm a little disappointed with the color of Pink Impression. Lighter on one side of the petals. Not a true pastel like Pink Diamond but not as pretty as I'd expected.

o

Are you wanting one that is perennial, or just one that will be beautiful the first year and then be pulled out? If you are looking for one that will reliably return and bloom as opposed to just putting up foliage and having sparse blooms, then you should either stick with the Darwin Tulips, or else the shorter Species tulips. All others will just give 'good' blooms for the first spring only.

chemocurl...aka Sue

o

No liking Pink Impression?
I do:
Photobucket

o

If they looked like that I'd be thrilled. I didn't even take a picture this year. Maybe it's a climate difference.

o

jmc,
I found your tulip. 'Huntsville'. At B&B (link below).

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.qualitybulbs.com/database_engels.htm

o

You never did specify if you were looking for a perennial tulip (that will reliably return, bloom, and even multiply for years, or if you were just looking for something pretty for the first year and then treat them as annuals, and yank them out.

If interested in perennial types you might read this thread....Best Tulip for year after year returns?

Sue

o

I love, love, love Pink Impressions. It's a really good pink color and it's been coming back for years. Last year I wanted to add more tulips late in the fall and could only find Menton. They were beautiful and lasted a month (we had a really good spring) but I don't know if I should expect them again next year. I will be putting more Pink Impressions in and also more Mentons.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here