Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redsox_gw

Do you recommend Rununculas?

redsox_gw
15 years ago

Rununculas are so fabulous, like little mini peonies. Are they easy to grow? I read a FAQ online but I don't know how much applied to my area (zone 6).

I am fairly new to bulbs in general. I rarely see anyone (neighbors) grow anything other than daffodils, tulips and the occasional hyacinth.

Are they long blooming? Full sun? Plant in Fall?

What is the best source to purchase them?

Comments (14)

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    15 years ago

I wouldn't recommend them for your area. They need mild winters and long, cool springs. The heat just melts them.

Every once in a while I can't resist though and I buy one or two that are already in bloom. They look great in pots outdoors until the weather heats up... then they fry.

If you are intrested in "other" spring bulbs you came to the right place. Just ask and people will flood you with their favorites!

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

I wouldn't recommend them for your area. They need mild winters and long, cool springs. The heat just melts them.

I just read on line that is colder climates they are treated more as annuals. I'm wondering if maybe they could be grown much like glads, in that they are planted in the spring (maybe could even be started inside) and then in the fall dug and stored cool and dry.

I know I bought some and left them in the ground here and they never returned.

Sue

actually it is Ranunculus

Here is a link that might be useful: Some real beauties at Willow creek!

• redsox_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I noticed my misspelling after I posted! I am heartbroken. You know how you start thinking about something and decide you MUST have it. I will check out the link, thank you.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

You know how you start thinking about something and decide you MUST have it.
    Yes, yes, yes. Sure do! After I started looking at them, I started thinking of who I could maybe split an order with...or maybe even a 3 way (or more) split, since they come in 10 bulbs per variety.

That Tecolote Cafe is stunning as is the purple, and the yellow.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: The main page of them

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    15 years ago

I hate to be the one who dampens enthusiasm but a friend and I both tried the bulbs a couple years ago. They sprouted ok while the weather was cool but then when temperatures rose they shriveled up. So my plan now is to build a greenhouse, keep it just warm enough to start them growing and then nurture them on so that when spring comes they are just perfect.....

While we are on the subject of bulbs that you MUST have but probably should just forget about (at least for me in the NE USA)... I would recommend foxtail lily (eremurus)and anemone coronaria... both of which are probably more do-able than ranunculus.

Don't even get me started on growing delphiniums!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:12744}}

• jewelbeetle
    15 years ago

I got 4 they did ok then the heat got to them, the next year only 2 came back, did the same thing, then the next year only one came back. I cant grow delphiniums either.Primrose grows excellent here, should be marylands state flower.

• daffodilgirl
    15 years ago

I live in East Tennessee. I only have a couple and they do good. When I first started gardening I planted some and the next year I forgot what the leaves looked like. I pulled them thinking they were weeds :( But like I said the two that I do have do well in my area.

• cynthianovak
    15 years ago

I plant some every winter. They are blooming now in 7b/8a. They will last until June for me. I think that's pretty good for something fairly cheap. If I don't accidentally dig them up or chop them up, they come back. I've also tried to lift, dry and replant. That's been successful.

Our winters get cold, but not as cold as yours.

I've tried peonies for years. Have some nice looking plants each year..never even got a bud! Yes, they are suppposed to be good in my zone.

Anyway, I think of these as a great replacement.

I plant in early Jan. They bloom in late March early April. I get them from Van Engelen who sells the giants. I have to soak them and rehydrate before planting and always plant them claws down...just in case someone does know.

c

• redsox_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cynthia, I planted peonies at our last house and they never bloomed. Then, my Husband returned to retrieve some stuff from the house after we sold it and he said "those pink things are blooming." So they didn't bloom for a couple of years after I planted them. They bloomed maybe year 2 or 3. Also you can't plant them too deeply, not sure if you tried that? Are you saying that you plant ranunculas every January? Like an annual?

Kato, that link did not work for me so I will google them, thanks.

So are you

• redsox_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry that SO ARE YOU was supposed to go with "so are you saying that you plant...." I goofed!

• cynthianovak
    15 years ago

redsox
    Yes, I order a bag of them and plant in Jan when we plant out chilled tulips. OR, if I am on the ball, I can pull them, dry and store them and plant again. It all depends on whether I forget to lift them when I plant something else, or a something grows over the spot. Then, I accidentally dig them up when I plant in winter.

They seem to be fine with our winters, but they aren't recommended for more northern zones. I get the giant mixture. Here is the link on Van Engelen. It seems that you would need to plant indoors for your zone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ranunculus planting suggestions

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    15 years ago

Cynthia- they sound like they are easier to grow than tulips in your area (no prechill)... are you ever tempted to cut back on the tulips and add more ranunculus instead?

-or is it just that we always want whatever is more trouble to grow?

• cynthianovak
    15 years ago

smiles....probably!

Tulips show up here as early as mid Feb for the early guys here. Ranunculus bloom in April. So tulips put on a grand show at least by the 2nd week in March when the rest of the world is dormant.

I have people who bring elderly friends and parents by. You can see the tulips from the car if you can't get out. There are even a couple of local Drs who recommend that patients are driven by on the way home to give patients a boost from winter blahs. I can sit in my home office and watch the vans from some of the local assisted living places slowly drive by. First going east, then west. Even the school bus drivers come by.

Sooo, while tulips are a hassel, I can't imagine not planting them

blissfully mad about tulips

c

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    15 years ago

I see what you mean now... actually I think I remember you posting pictures a year or two back of your front tulip bed. If I remember correctly it was quite a sight!