Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
early spring bloom timing (Heart's Delight, Avalanche)

Posted by tunnymowg z6b Salt Lake (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 24, 09 at 14:37

When do Kaufmanniana tulips bloom? Is it with early daffodils, or before that even, with iris reticulata and crocuses? I'm already planning my fall bulb order (of course!), and one of the combinations I'm thinking of is the 'Heart's Delight' Kaufmanniana, 'Avalanche' narcissus and 'Blue Festival' multi-flowering hyacinths. Might these bloom together? I'm really unsure about Avalanche. Some call it early, but others list it as mid-season (and after 'Erlicheer,' which has just now started blooming for me - much later than it did last year).

Dianne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: early spring bloom timing (Heart's Delight, Avalanche)

I have both Kauffmania and Greigii tulips. Both bloom much earlier than regular tulips. Those bloom at the same time as my pink Festival hyacinths, which start blooming more than 2 weeks earlier than regular hyacinths. I dont have that kind of daffodil. My Ice Follies daffodils, which I consider to be early, are blooming at the same time as all of the above: just finishing now.

o

Thanks, linnea. Do the Kaufmannianas bloom with the Greigii? I have some Greigiis and they don't seem particularly early for me. They've just finished, while my neighbor's multiflowering hyacinths were done a week or two ago. So I'm hoping for the Kaufmanns to bloom just a bit earlier. About 75% of what I can find on 'Avalanche' describes it as early, so I think I'll just go for it.

Dianne

o

I have about 4-5 different Greigiis, one is the very first to bloom (Red Riding Hood) and some are in full swing now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here