Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potted Tulips

Posted by empressjenf 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 14:41

My mom's boyfriend gave her potted tulips for Easter. Because I have a cat who is a trouble maker and an older kitten still in training, the tulips have to stay in the basement. I told my mom I will plant them in the garden when we know the cold weather is done for the year. However, everything I've read says to wait until after the flowers die before planting.

My question is how soon can I plant these? We don't get to enjoy them unless one of us is doing laundry or I am getting gardening supplies out of the basement. I can't set them on the front porch since there are a few neighbor kids who I'm sure would take them home as a gift to their mother. The tulips don't get much sun in the basement, if any, and it is fairly damp down there. The temperature is supposed to drop Thursday night/Friday morning, then go back up to normal spring temperatures. If I can, I'd like to plant the tulips this weekend.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potted Tulips

No reason not to plunge the entire mass into the ground and give a good soak ASAP.

They may or may not flower next year. Only certain groups of tulips are reliable naturalizers. I have had a dbl. lavender for at least 6 yrs. that will bloom every odd year or so.

o
RE: Potted Tulips

In zone 6 a lot more tulips are reliable than zone 9.

1) let the plants die down naturally (outside is fine)
2) remove the bulbs from the pot and *store them* in a paper bag.
3) plant the bulbs in late fall/early winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here