Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ranunculus questions

Posted by ellenr 7A NJ (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 14:46

I just bought this, an impulse buy. Now that I've learned to spell it, I must learn how to grow it.
I bought the plant, didn't know it was a bulb.
Can I plant it in my garden now? - temps are down to 30 degrees at night.
the variety is mache.
from what I've read, in the winter I can dig it up and store the bulbs?

thank you for any info, I am totally new to Ranunculus.

and how did it get such a funny name? :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ranunculus questions

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 14:53

Wayne's page (see link) is a really, really good site for growing Ranunculus--a very enjoyable read as well. It should tell you everything you need to know, and more.

Wikipedia says, of the name:

"The name Ranunculus is Late Latin for "little frog," from rana "frog" and a diminutive ending. This probably refers to many species being found near water, like frogs."

Here is a link that might be useful: Wayne's Ranunculus

o

thanks, I shall check that site. I love what Wiki says about the name.

o

It's a wonderful site. but doesn't answer my questions cuz I have a flowering plant in a pot,
I am sure the best way is to grow from a bulb, but this is what I've got.

o

You can plant it in the garden - although mine are kept in pots because it does need digging up over winter because winter wet will cause the 'bulbs' to rot. After it has stopped flowering, dig it up then - I turn my pots over on the side and store them next to a wall, out of sight. Keep the potting mix just a tiny bit moist. Start watering in January - the shoots will appear early because it wants to make its full growth and flower before daylight length starts to increase (they are short day plants). This is a reason why many spring sown bulbs fail. After the vernal equinox, the plant wants to put its energy into rooting. They are hardier than might be expected, given their middle eastern origins.....but timing is an important part of succeeding with ranunculous. Oh, they appreciate a bit of liquid fertiliser too.

o

thanks Campanula,
I was thinking of potting it instead of putting in the garden, bec. I garden in a community garden a few miles from my home.

this plant is so beautiful, if I pot it, I can keep it in my driveway, where I can look at it every day. :)

from what I read, it likes full sun, and well-drained, even sandy soil? My driveway gets full sun all day - might that be too much?

I don't understand about keeping it after flowering- you say your turn the pot over - with the plant in it?

o

I would also like to know -
what size pot do you use?

o

If it has a flower like this one it is growing from a claw-like cluster joined at the top.
Like bulbs, the foliage will age when its season is done. After the foliage has died is when the pot is turned on its side to stay dry. The nurseries put 2 "claws" in a gallon pot.

o

thanks, Iris,
beautiful pic.
so - when you turn pot on its side - with the plant inside?
and why is it necessary to turn it on side to dry?

o

Yes, the claw is still in the soil in the pot. The foliage has aged and gone so hopefully theres a tag on or in the pot.

The claws must be kept dry during dormancy or they may rot. People with summer rains use the pot on its side method to prevent the soil from getting wet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here