Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
philipw22

Is there an alternative to tulips?

philipw2
16 years ago

My tulips last 2-3 years at best. Right now I am looking at the much diminished show that was planted fall 2006, realizing that I will have to plant more in the fall. (My wife adores them---they bloomed right around her birthday as a child. For similar reasons I have 5 varieties of lilacs.)

So I am looking for a tall bulb that can give me a range of bright reds or yellows.

Camassia is the right height, but those blues just fade into the background. Is there a bright colored camassia?

Comments (9)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    16 years ago

I can't suggest a tall red bulb for your area, but Daffs come in an array of colors.

I have been posting a few (not so good) pics of mine at the Test Forum. Most all are fairly common ones I've gotten over the years, mostly from big box stores.

Some named daffs this season

and
    Some unknown daffs too-bad pics

Sue

• mamoo_z5
    16 years ago

Are you sure you want to give up on the Tulips? I almost did until I searched the net to find some help. I learned to buy in my zone 5 Darwin Hybrid Tulips which come back every year for me now. The tip is fertilize Tulips when they first show 3" or so of foliage in early Spring. Fertilize the foliage right after the flowers have finished & you deadhead. Fertilize the foliage one more time just as it begins to turn yellow. Always let the foliage yellow out so you will have strong bulbs to flower the next year. For my soil I have to use a Acid fertilizer because I have a slight alkaline soil. I have fertilized like this for several years now & have to divide my Tulips every 2 to 3 years. I even get to give some away. It is great!

• teresa_nc7
    16 years ago

Species tulips! Carefree and just lovely! We planted them here at my office about 3 years ago and they are blooming their heads off now! Everyone wants to know what they are.

Here is a link to where I bought them.

Here is a link that might be useful: John Scheepers species tulips

• Donna
    16 years ago

Are amaryllis hardy in your area by any chance? The old Red Lion ones are dead hardy in the ground here. They're tall, they multiply like mad, and they don't make 'em any redder. They bloom right after the very last daffodils.

Anemone coronaria come tall (8-12") and red and are hardy to zone seven. They probably won't be as enduring as daffodils, but should be better than most tulips. They don't bloom until late spring.

Teresa is right. Species tulips are far more enduring, and there are several reds, but the ones I am familiar with are pretty short. Still, two out of three isn't bad.

Brent and Becky's carry a hyacinth called Woodstock that is a purply red (more red than purple). Buy plenty, because hyacinths don't typically increase.

Now you know why tulips are so popular, despite their problems....They're tall. They're early, and they come in many, many colors.

• bubba62
    16 years ago

Amaryllis (Hippaestrum) x johnsonii would be hardy for you (planted in the ground and mulched in winter), and is a great substitute for red tulips, albeit blooming a few weeks later. It's a little tough to find, but getting easier, and worth the investment.

• philipw2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

What great ideas and suggestions. Is there a source for H. x johnsonii? I didn't see it at Brent & Becky's.

Thnks for all the suggestions. I'll try them all.

• Donna
    16 years ago

I did a quick google search and found Hippeastrum johnsonii listed on Plant Delights Nursery, Big Dipper Farm, and Brent and Beckys catalog that ships in the spring. Hope this helps.

• krissy2_2008
    16 years ago

MaMoo_z5 mentions fertilizer, what type of fertilizer do you use?

• hemnancy
    16 years ago

I have very good success with species Tulips as well- T. praestans unicum has been growing and coming back several years for me, multiple blooms and variegated foliage, T. vvedenskyi Tangerine Beauty will be blooming the second year soon, and T. vvedenskyi, bright red, is blooming it's first year, a taller bloom than T. praestans unicum. It has very nice blue-green foliage as well. T. batalini, linifolia, and Spring Beauty have also repeated for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: T. praestans unicum

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!