Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best perennial tulips?

Posted by newyorkrita z6b/7a LI NY (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 11, 09 at 15:02

Tulips never last from year to year in my garden. What are the best types to come up year after year?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best perennial tulips?

Species tulips will be your best bet but probably others will tell you of Darwin's that will work. Planting them deep to begin with is probably the trick.

o

....deeply planted, and in a spot that does not get summer irrigating.

I have found some success in planting an herbaeous perennial over top of the bulb. The perennial's roots suck up the excess moisture so the bulb is not sitting in any water.

o

Darwin hybrids work the best. Red and yellow Oxford have returned in my yard for years. One secret to bulbs returning is to fertilize them. I do this when they break ground in the spring, and again when they are finished blooming. Remember they are living things and all living things need to eat!!

o

Another vote for the yellow Oxford. I have some Negrita that are in their second year.

I have some Pink Impressions that are in their 5th year and still glorious! Big pink blooms as big as my fist. I hear they come in other colors, too, but I haven't tried them and don't know if they are as reliable.

Again, plant them deep, be sure to fertilize and allow the foliage to dry before you yank it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here