Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tulips that don't flower

Posted by moxiecola 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 13, 09 at 15:05

I planted tulips in '04. They flowered that year and have not flowered since. The green leaves arrive but no flower. What is going on? The same thing has happened with every grape hycinth I have planted in my garden.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tulips that don't flower

Tulip foliage needs to brown and wither naturally. If cut off, the bulbs cannot replenish their needs...they will starve. Grape hyacinth's foliage comes up in the fall and is semi evergreen through the winter, it must not be cut to the ground.

o

In many hot summer rainy climates most tulips are best treated as an annual and dug up after they bloom and replaced every year. Now and then you get some exceptional ones that perennialize but if you are just getting leaves your best bet is to just dig them up and toss them.

o

Ditto on what Clem said. Most tulips don't flower after the first year in hot weather and or rainy climates.

Pink Impression tulips have been coming back in my garden for 5 years. Also try the Red and Yellow Oxfords and Negrita. I've heard that Emperor, Triumph and Darwin tulips are more likely to come back, but results have been spotty in my garden. I planted some Emperor tulips for the first time last fall, I'll report back if they return next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here