Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Your best blooming hyacinth

Posted by tepelus 5/6 Ohio (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 10, 09 at 15:16

When my boyfriend and I moved to our house, the first spring a few blue hyacinths popped up in a bed, planted by the previous owner, and now our third spring, these guys still have nice, large flowers, though no increase. Two falls ago, I planted a few more in different colors, in another bed, and they bloomed good last spring, but this spring the flowers are spindly. But those blue ones still look big and full. I wish I knew what variety they were, and where the previous owner bought them so I can plant a lot more of them.

So, what are your best performing hyacinths, ones that look nice year after year? Maybe it'll help me figure out what kind these guys are.

Karen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Your best blooming hyacinth

Hi Karen, I'm no expert, but in my experience you always get a beautiful, full show the first spring and then they are smaller for a few years, mine have gone through this and they have split off, if that's what you call it. I now have two blooms per bulb that are decent size, I have always ordered from Van Engelen The blue ones I have are Blue Jacket and I have had them for at least 10 years, I don't know about dividing them yet, maybe they are ready, but they really look good this year,
I also think alot depends upon the weather and winter that we have, some years are just better than others. 2 years ago I put in City of Haarlem, which is a very nice pale yellow and they were wonderful. They are just starting to open and it looks like they will once again be huge. This fall I am planting Gypsy Queen which is an apricot color. I need to get out and take a better picture, the one I have here is focusing on the Mount Hood Daffs, but you can see the Blue Jacket Hyacinth in the background. They are the ones that are more than 10 years.!! Hope this helps.
Cindy
Photobucket

o

I think the ones I have may be blue jacket, but I am not certain. The ones that are doing well are in a different bed from the others, and I'm thinking maybe it's the location. When the leaves begin to yellow, I'll pull them and plant them in the other bed. Maybe the puny ones will like it there better. It's worth a try, I guess. And your flowers look so pretty!

Karen

o

I have some Delft Blue hyacinths my daughter gave me when she was in high school. She is now 52. They still come up and bloom well, but I always fertilize my bulbs well with bulb food.

o

Here is a pic of Sky Jacket (blue) and Miss Saigon (magenta) in their third year. They were planted fall of '06 and still look as good as they did their first year. Some of the Sky Jackets have even divided and have smaller ones growing up alongside.

Close up of Sky Jacket:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here