Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bulb questions:

Posted by loneranger_grow S-Iowa (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 15:17

I know this is a basic question, that I should know the answer to. Just a short answer would be appreciated.I have some daffodils in a pot that are dormant. I have read is best to plant bulbs in fall, what should I do to/with , them in the mean time? Also,,if you buy bulbs like tulips, in the spring, should you just keep them cool and dark until fall? thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bulb questions:

Daffodils. Assuming the bulbs were in the pot and well cared for for a minimum of 8 to 10 weeks after the blooms shattered (preferably until the foliage began to turn brown), remove them from the pot, shake the soil off them. Divide them if you like, or leave the offsets intact, your choice. Lay them on some kind of airy shelf or rack in a cool, dry, dark place (like an unheated basement) in a single layer. Leave them there until time to plant next fall. At some point, the attached leaves will dry down enough that you can easily pull them away from the bulbs. You can, at that point, put them into onion bags or even store the bulbs in cardboard bins.

This above method is preferred, but if you do not have a place that is suitable for storage, you can go ahead and plant the bulbs now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here