Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this plant?

Posted by freedombelle2001 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 15:19

We moved into this new house and I see about 6 clumps of these along the back fence and wonder what they are? The very tips of the leaves have a tiny ball like feel inside. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this plant?

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 15:21

Likely soon they will bloom, and then you will know, or at least they will be easier to ID. A bulb of some sort.

o

These are unlikely to bloom soon, i suspect :-) I think they are Lycoris. The foliage will turn yellow and die back by June, and then they will send up spikes of flowers (with no foliage in sight) in August or September.

Lycoris have very distinct foliage, looking like somewhat wider and shorter daffodil foliage with a bluish cast.

It looks like you have some nice, healthy clumps!

o

I suspect Lycoris, as well. Lycoris squamigera, also know as Naked Ladies because of the foliage-free blooms. Great plant!

Linda

o

I agree - lycoris or as often called in the south spider lily.

This post was edited by maylingsmom on Thu, Apr 17, 14 at 15:38

o

Yes. That broad leaved foliage is a dead giveaway.

o

Those clumps also look to need dividing. they will multiply so much there will be layers of them in one hole. I once took 36 out of one hole and there were still plenty left.

o

Those clumps also look to need dividing. they will multiply so much there will be layers of them in one hole. I once took 36 out of one hole and there were still plenty left.

o

Thanks to all for your responses, I appreciate your time to answer. And I want to ask flowergirl70ks, a brief how to as to dividing clumps, never have done it. Do you just dig deep and under and around and tamp the bulbs apart and replant?

o

Whoops, forgot I wanted to tell you all, I thought there was about 6 clumps of these, there are 15! I had these at my previous house, after I posed the what is it question and you all told me I Googled it, and lo and behold it is what I use to have that we always mowed over not knowing, and they did fine anyway later on. So we won`t be mowing these!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here