Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
blue jacket hyacinths pink

Posted by buttercupia zone4 IA (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 3, 12 at 15:21

Hi, I planted around 35 blue jacket hyacinths last fall, and so far, this apring, I've seen only pale bluish pink or pale pink bulbs. (I don't think I planted pink bulbs) Has this happened to anyone else? I can't find the packages so I don't know the company they came from (I'm still looking)but could it be the soil or is this the color they're supposed to be? I thought they would be dark blue. (my grape hyacinths came out dark blue) Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: blue jacket hyacinths pink

No, it's not soil chemistry, cultural conditions, or anything else you've done.

Plain and simple, one cause for this -- mislabeled bulbs. It happens, and quite often.

The only way to get the blue color you were looking for is to dig them out and replace next year with different bulbs.

o

Don't remember company's name and it was reputible - and not talking about bulbs - just quality control in general - but I ordered 8 daylilies as a group deal - 4 different varieties. But ended up with double of one set of 2 & missing another set completely. And when they finally "rectified" the problem, I ended up with 2 MORE of the same wrong color and never got the other two even tho they kept saying they'd sent them (until the season was over and they had no more to send).

So I've just come to terms with the fact that things get mislableled and people make mistakes when it comes to mail order flowers & bulbs. Not to say it doesn't tick me off...lol. Just sharing in your disappointment and know how you feel, esp. when you have a color scheme going on.

And I was really upset because the ones I got wrong, as unique shaped as they were, were ORANGE. Now how unusual is an orange daylily? Got too many of them as it stands.

If you ordered online and don't delete stuff (like me) maybe you can look back and find some sort of confirmation email?

Good luck !!!

o

Oh darn. I thought that maybe next year they would turn blue, or that adding some acid might help, but I guess I'll just go back to the store and tell what happened and maybe they'll get some replacements....Thanks for the reply.. and I wish I'd saved my receipts...

o

Nope, mislabeling happens routinely.

I've had more trouble with packaged bulbs and perennials from big box stores than reputable mail order sources but have had mistakes from mail order too including Brent & Becky's and Heirloom Bulbs. Only one time each for them though compared to many times from other sources.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here