Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
allium questions

Posted by fman z7NY (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 30, 07 at 15:37

i know i posted this question before but i never really got an answer. why would allium bulbs that flowered 2 years in a row not flower this year? does the mother bulb split? should i expect flowers in subsequent years (maybe what has grown is from baby bulbs and will flower in following years)? should i give up on them and just replant new ones in the fall? the alliums i am inquiring about are gladiators. also, how and when do i dig up and move allium bulbs from one place to another. thanks again for any information. it is greately appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: allium questions

Depending on the type of allium; some are short lived sending offsets that may take 2 - 3 years to flower. Overcrowding can also occur after a few years, which weakens the remaining plants. They should be dug up every 2 - 3 years; sorted out and respaced. Leaving the seedheads on will also weaken the plants, but do not cut off the leaves. Once the foliage dies back in summer than you can dig and move the bulbs. Do a bit of research, as most of this family is edible and those tiny baby bulbs might have a use in the kitchen.

o

Can anyone tell me how and when to split an allium bulb, can this be done to plant one somewhere else or simply to stop overcrowding. Will they double up every year?
Many thanks
Ian

o

• Posted by fman z7NY (My Page) on
    Fri, May 4, 07 at 9:58

i also am interested in the same information ian has requested. when i dig them up should i only re-plant the larger ones? how far apart should i space the bulbs after i dig them up? when can i dig them up to do this?

o

I dig all my alliums up to give them some summer rest and waits to split the bulbs until time of replanting (late autumn). During summer rest they are stored in paper backs -- just like potatoes.

Below you will find a image showing some of alliums blooming this particular day. (Allium Guna, Allium Jesidianum, Allium Globus etc)

o

Generally speaking, if you want your alliums to come up reliably every year, you must first cut the heads off immediately after flowering. Then dig a little trench beside the bulbs and fill with bone meal, water well, and let them feed until the foliage dies back. Dig and divide in the fall. Skip any of these steps, and you risk having your bulbs peter out and not come back.

Your garden is beautiful, globemaster.

Lainey

o

Globemaster,

What are those pink spikes at the bottom behind the lupines?
Just lovely.

o

Thank you for your nice remarks about my garden. The pink spikes are Verbascum phoenicum flowers. All plants are grown from seed by me. I dont remember the exact variety.
They are first year flowering perennials and great self-sowers too.

o

Globemaster-that is just an absolutely GORGEOUS border! Thanks for sharing your pictures!

o

Will Alliums grow up through the lawn or grass? I planted Daffodils (Ice Follies) and Crocuses and they come up right through the turf year afeter year in the Spring and bloom.

I have some Allium bulbs and I would like to plant them the same way. However, I was afraid that they may not come up through the turf.

Does anyone know if Alliums will grow up through the grass?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here