Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Timing spring bloom...in New England, which daffs bloom w phlox?

I would like to plan a spring display that would have daffodils blooming at the same time as Phlox subulata. This year is an odd year weather wise. We are about 2 weeks earlier on the daffodil blooms as last year and they are just finishing up. Last year, from photos, I see that phlox subulata was just starting to open about May 1st and most of my daffodils were just finishing blooming by then. Ice Follies and Ceylon. Has anyone had success in planning a coordinated spring bloom? I was just looking at a bloom schedule I found on Google and it was so confusing. It was all off from my experience with certain plants and bulbs.

Comments (7)

• vetivert8
    13 years ago

Sigh. Gardening reality.

For me, the most reliable and sustained source of blue, as a foil for daffs, is forget-me-not. It lasts through from the earlies to the 'haven't you finished yet!?' lot. It's a pest when it comes to pets with seedcatcher coats yet that wonderful haze of blue makes it mostly worth it.

The Phlox seems to have quite a long flowering period without a peak... Would you maybe find a solution among the miniatures or the species?

• pitimpinai
    13 years ago

Prairiemoon, my Phlox subulata is in bloom. The Daffodils that are blooming now are tarzetta types and Curlew. My other daffodils are practically gone. Tripartite is not blooming yet. Most of my daffodils are gone.

I don't think you can rely on succession anymore. The warming trend has wreaked havoc to my plan. Everything began to bloom much earlier and earlier every year. Normally my Phlox subulata bloomed from mid April through Mid May. This year it opened at the beginning of April. Bummer.

I planted everything for succession in mind, but especially this year everything came up much earlier and almost all at once.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

vetivert, I have stayed away from forget me nots because of the traveling they do. [g] I will check the minis and the species daffs, thanks.

Pitimpinai, my phlox just started blooming 2 days ago. Looks like our timing is pretty close to each other. That is so funny that you mention 'Curlew'. I forgot I had it...lol. It has been blooming since April 12th and still looks good in part shade. My phlox is in full sun so the timing might be a little off. I could pick up a few bulbs in the fall and try it.

I think you are right, you just can't figure out bloom time any more. I guess we will just have to keep experimenting. Maybe if we purchase the latest bloomers we will find one that works with phlox? So disappointing when you are waiting to see your plan work out and it doesn't. This has been the strangest spring. Great yes, but I can hardly believe it is almost May 1st. It feels like it should be almost the end of May. [g] I wonder what we'll be like in 5 years?

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    13 years ago

My neighbor's phlox is in full bloom now on a north facing hill, that likely is shaded a bit. The one daff that I have in full swing right now is Narcissus - poeticus var. recurvus (Pheasant's Eye) available from B and B. I got it from Brent and Becky's years ago, so it is a well established clump blooming at near its 'correct' time here.

Another one I have in bloom that started a while ago is Sun Disc. It is a miniature and is listed as very late with Daffseek, and has been prolific and a good performer for me.
    It is available from B and B also...see link below.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Sun Disc at Brent and Becky's

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Sue, Pheasant's Eye, is a pretty daffodil, and I find that funny that the Sun Disk is listed as very late to bloom and still started to bloom before the phlox. I guess as long as the bloom overlaps at some point that will work. I will check those out and start noticing daffs that are listed as very late blooming.

Thanks for the suggestions and the link!
    pm2

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    13 years ago

Here is a pic I just took, with irises, so they are quite late.

{{gwi:13336}}

These were planted in 2006 (not sure exactly how many bulbs) and probably should be dug and divided this year.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Aren't those pretty! I like them with your iris too. Thanks for the photo! Since you are such a collector, I am hoping that at some point you will post a slideshow of some of your overall favorites. :-)