Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fritillaria meleagris

Posted by floral_uk 8/9 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 17, 14 at 15:56

I just thought some of you might like to see this lovely flower in its natural habitat. Seen on a walk the day before yesterday. General view of the meadow.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fritillaria meleagris - a clump

A small group. The white is a natural variant which occurs in the wild.

o
RE: Fritillaria meleagris

A close up.

o

How beautiful!

o

I planted 6 each of the plain and the alba form of these 8 years ago. I had only one of the alba forms bloom just once in all those years, and all the others sent up single leaf blades which multiplied to little groups of single blades over the years.
This year, 2 of the common and 2 of the alba are budded and should open in a week or so. I have no idea what changed to bring them along, but I am anxiously waiting for them as I love the look of these beautiful plants.

o

They love to live in damp conditions. Did you have a wet summer last year? The meadow in the picture is right beside a river and floods occasionally. It has ample soil moisture but is not boggy. I have a few in my garden but they are martyrs to slugs and snails which like to chew off the flowers just before they open.

o

What a beautiful springtime sight, nice to see them growing healthy in the wild.
I'll second the damp soil, mine practically grow in mud and seem happiest there, multiplying and clumping up nicely.

o

Damp soil eh?
Maybe that is it and why they have not been happy. I had assumed they would be like the american frits which almost insist on sharp drainage, especially in winter. My soil is a very loose loam overlying a bed of essentially decayed schist with very rapid drainage

o

•Posted by floral_uk 8/9 (My Page) on Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 13:20

I assume that beautiful area is protected by swarms of mosquitos.

o

The meadow is protected by law and people, not insects. There are very few mosquitoes - they are not a problem here. Might see one or two on a summer evening.

o

OH MY how lovely

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here