Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dkgarber

tulips are GONE!! Can they recover

dkgarber
14 years ago

I've been growing giant red tulips for about 3 years. The rabbits and deer have eaten several things in my yard, but the tulips are usually never touched, so I never critter proofed them.

I just went outside and they are absoltuely GONE!!! Chewed very cleanly to the soil--clearcut. I beleive this damage all happened in one night and I am blaming the deer, but wondering if was a rabbit (although what rabbit could clear a tulip patch in one sitting??!!).

Anywho, I am heartbroken. I am at the end of my rope as my garden hs been destroyed this winter and now this.

The stems weren't up yet-but the foliage was almost fully up. Will they recover?? If so, I'll spray some repellent on them but if they dont' stand a chance, I won't waste my money.

Heartbroken :-(

Comments (5)

• jeannie7
    14 years ago

I suppose we can assume you live Massachusetts (zone 6) and the tulips have sprouted their foliage---somewhat.
    I don't believe much has come up and what did has been eaten by whatever.
    Many times this occurs when warm spells visit the garden during a winter or early spring thaw and if it comes up to any great degree may cause that to be lost. The plant knows its cold up there and stops further growth.
    It will resume when the soil temperature tells it it is safe.
    Chances are your large tulips have the strength to lose some of the foliage and yet come back up as good as new.
    That has been the experience of my own tulips--and my varmint was indeed a rabbit.
    Rabbits in my area are numerous because many of my neighbors have vegetable gardens.
    I am hoping for the return of a fox...a red fox that has no fear of man and saunters down our road oblivious to traffic. He alone can make a difference in the rabbit population.

• MissMyGardens
    14 years ago

dkgarber, I'm so sorry your foliage was eaten by those critters!

I actually went right out to check the tulips in front of the house after reading your post...even though they were sprayed that morning! Spray repellant every day and wishing is all we've got to keep tulips only somewhat safe.

My uninformed deduction is they'll bloom this year but they'll have a real problem getting any sunny energy through foliage needed for bulb development of next year's bloom.

Truly hope you get your big red blooms this year...you deserve them after this indignity!

• jewelbeetle
    14 years ago

Either I am having a bad year for tulips or something feasted on 36 tulip bulbs here!

• MissMyGardens
    14 years ago

I've had more new Tulip bulbs rot this year in both well draining containers and ground where they were successful last year.

Changed online vendor last fall, changed from Darwins to Triumphs, had heavy wet snow early March, planted in Sept. instead of Dec. so bulbs spent more time in ground than previous year...have no way of knowing what made the difference this year from last.

Just know more grew and bloomed last time around than I see shaping up for this year.

jewelbeetle, did you dig down to check the bulbs for rotting? Checked my containers and all bulbs in a couple are rotted...tulip, daffodil, iris reticulata & hyacinth.

Even Daffodils, Crocus, Scilla & Pushkinia in beds are smaller and not blooming very well this year. It's only their second year so they shouldn't need dividing yet.

Who knows. I fed all the bulbs last week and will just treat Tulips as annuals from now on...and continue to spray the heck out of them if/when foliage starts coming up.

• MissMyGardens
    14 years ago

I've had more new Tulip bulbs rot this year in both well draining containers and ground where they were successful last year.

Changed online vendor last fall, changed from Darwins to Triumphs, had heavy wet snow early March, planted in Sept. instead of Dec. so bulbs spent more time in ground than previous year...have no way of knowing what made the difference this year from last.

Just know more grew and bloomed last time around than I see shaping up for this year.

jewelbeetle, did you dig down to check the bulbs for rotting? Checked my containers and all bulbs in a couple are rotted...tulip, daffodil, iris reticulata & hyacinth.

Even Daffodils, Crocus, Scilla & Pushkinia in beds are smaller and not blooming very well this year. It's only their second year so they shouldn't need dividing yet.

Who knows. I fed all the bulbs last week and will just treat Tulips as annuals from now on...and continue to spray the heck out of them if/when foliage starts coming up.

Sponsored
Uncommon Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Turnkey Interior Design Studio in Loudoun County, VA