Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
daffodils

Posted by eos5815 none (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 16:25

About 10 years ago I moved from town to a farm 10 miles away. At that time I moved 100's of daffodil bulbs. No curing time, just dug them from one spot and set them in the ground in another. I think it was in the fall. Since then I get hugh green growth without a single flower. Prior to the move these bulbs flowered profusely. Any suggestions how I might regain flowers on these bulbs? I also moved a large number of resurrection lilyies at the same time and they have done great.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: daffodils

Sounds like they have bulked up to many offsets, or bulblets. They will cease to bloom when all this reproducing has resulted in a major mass of small bulbs tightly packed together. Dig up the big mass, divide the bulbs, replant immediately. They will take 2-3 years for the bulblets to mature and bloom.
Other then that: loss of bloom due to lack of sun. Deciduous shade is fine, not evergreen shade. The other is the greens are being cut before the bulbs go dormant.

o

Paula is right. After 10 years they are needing dug and divided.

At that time I moved 100's of daffodil bulbs.
Don't be surprised if by now you have thousands of small bulbs. Be prepared to share them if there happen to be more than you can use.
If there are a lot more than you can replant at this time, you can dry, and store some of them for fall planting too.

The link below lists other reasons why daffodils won't bloom, but I'm sure crowding is at least one of your issues.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: American Daffodil Society-Daffodils Not Blooming?

o

Sue - I love the last sentence#13 in the link you provided. I needed that good morning chuckle to start the day. Thanks. Candy

#13. Bulbs may be out to get you! (The case when you give them away in frustration and they bloom wildly for the new recipients.

o

Ha! I've never had #13 be the case. Usually my bulbs that don't bloom, have needed divided for so long that they have just divided and divided and grown to be so small that once they are dug and divided, they might need several years to get big enough to bloom again.

I'm thinking after the foliage does down and it is the right digging time, I'll dig several non blooming clumps and just offer them up here at GW on the Plant Exchange for postage. I imagine it will take them a few years to bloom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here