Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
digging up daffs

Posted by roseyp8255 z8 - SC AL (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 25, 09 at 16:25

I have tons of daffodils that i need to go ahead and dig up for transplanting while the foliage is dying. it will be later in the summer/fall before i get to replant them, i am cleanign out beds before i build new ones! My question is - won't the bulbs be okay if i put them in a box with peat moss out in the barn until i plant them this fall? The barn will keep them from getting wet and rotting while piled up (NOTE, LOTS of daffs!)

And another question - so i don't have to look it up. will they bloom in partial shade? or do i need to plant them in full sun?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: digging up daffs

The main consideration is air circulation to prevent the growth of mildew from the moisture. I am assuming you still have green foliage attached to the bulbs which you are allowing to die back naturally. When the foliage is yellowed it can be removed and then I think the dry moss or something similar would be appropriate to pack the bulbs to allow air without dessication of the bulbs. Partial shade may reduce the bloom but would not usually cut it off completely. Al

o

thank calistoga! I am of course letting the foliage die back, but just planning ahead so i am ready to dig them up. and i have some spots i would like to plant them that will eventually get more sun, when i am "thru" LOL

o

Once the bulbs are dug, they should be spread out to dry (someplace out of the sun) dry for a few days before packing them for summer storage. A cool dry place would be better for summer storage, such as a basement, or crawlspace if it is good and dry.

Shade is fine, as the daffs will be up and blooming before the leaves of deciduous trees leaf out. I grow a lot of daffodils in my front yard woods. Now shade from evergreens or buildings is a different thing.

Sue...chemocurl

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here