Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wrong tulips coming up x_x

Posted by sunandshadow 6 PA (sunandshadow@excite.com) on
Tue, Apr 6, 10 at 16:36

Well, the first few of my tulips bloomed yesterday and today. One of the sets that opened is a very plain white tulip... of which I did not plan any. x_X And it can't be a volunteer or leftover because that bed is new this year, it had only sedum and periwinkle before. So now I guess I have to figure out which of the approximately 20 types of tulips I planted got swapped for these boring things, and try to convince the company to send me replacements for next year. I really hope they weren't the Ice Cream ones, I was particularly looking forward to those and they were the most expensive per bulb. Bad me for not writing down what I planted where though. -_-

The ones I do have accounted for so far are Apricot Impression (noticeably the largest tulips of the whole batch and the first to open), Claudia (except for being too tall these forced the best, as well as being among the first to open outside, they seem very hard although not really useful for breeding because the ovary is sterile), Yellow Crown, Yellow Spider (possibly my favorite), and an orange single which is either Ballerina or Aperitif (the flowers seem extra-fragile, a little wind and rain and they barely look like tulips - going to remove and discard those).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wrong tulips coming up x_x

I have had multiple bulbs from multiple sources turn out to be different than I purchased. None mail order from reputable companies like Brent & Becky's but all purchased locally in packages. Costco, Wal*Mart, Lowe's and Home Depot. I no longer purchase bulbs in packages or plants that aren't blooming from such sources. Some people might not care what color or cultivar but I do. I guess it is what I get for trying to save a buck. :(

o

Buyorsell, that happened to me this year as well, only out of the individual bulb bins! I think somebody at the nursery got mixed up while labeling - I've got Banja Luka coming up all over the place instead of Dordogne! (On the plus side: I'd never grown Banja Luka before and it turns out I love it - I'll be ordering from Brent & Becky's this year, though, all the same!)

o

I've got red and orange tulips and I don't plant red or orange flowers. Can't remember what they were supposed to be. I keep thinking they'll stop coming up eventually but they are years old....

I've got pale yellow Asiatic lilies that were supposed to be Regale Orientals....gave one batch away too.

It is frustrating.

o

Well, I've got a story like this too...

The "red and White" striped Rembrandt-type tulips my teenage daughter bought for me in Amsterdam just started blooming...and they are deep raspberry pink with a white blush! If she asks me (She's off at college) I don't know what to say.

o

"deep raspberry pink with a white blush"
-that actually sounds real nice, but I'm sure since they were something special out of Holland you would want them to be what they were supposed to be.

I planted '60 mxd pastel' from Sam's club the year before last.... it was a mix of strong bright yellow. Another bag of mxd darwins turned out to be a yellow/red, pale pink mx, the other bag with the same tag turned out purple and dark pink.... nice colors and I'm not really complaining, but two tulip varieties in a bag doesn't seem like a "rainbow of color" to me..... also (unlike the original poster), I didn't put down good money for a specific variety and end up with a dissapointing show.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here