Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
transplanting grape hyacinths - can I wait till fall?

Posted by tulipsmiles 6 South of Boston (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 25, 09 at 16:37

I just dug up about 60 Grape Hyacinth bulbs, while I was making a spot for my new rose bush. Question is, can I store these bulbs in dirt in a pail, in my cellar until fall and then transplant? My mom recently told me that bulbs are planted in fall...

I'm not exactly sure where they will be planted in my yard just yet, so I don't want to put them just anywhere. I'll have a much better idea in fall.

Any info is much appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: transplanting grape hyacinths - can I wait till fall?

I have moved hyacinths at all different times, except perhaps when they are in bloom. They seem to take a lot of abuse. My yard is full of them now, after I received a few bulbs from a good hearted, crotchety neighbor of 95+ years, who came over to my yard one day, 20 years ago and thrust a few bulbs at me, saying, "Here, plant these." I keep dividing them and now have dozens of clumps to complement all my spring bulbs, primroses, and lunaria (silver dollar plant.)

You might want to just get yours right in to the ground now. You won't have to worry about storage conditions, or forgetting about them. They will send up some growth toward fall.

Good luck to you and your new rose bush. Happy Spring.
Hepatica

o

If you don't know where you want them to be transplanted to yet, just pot them up as you would summer annuals outside. Don't put them in the basement. Water them, they need to finish feeding through their foliage until they go dormant later. As the foliage begins to yellow and die, stop watering, let the pot dry, then put the pot in the basement. Replant this fall. They will put out fresh foliage this fall and will be semi-evergreen over winter.

o

If you can, plant in August, or even late July. They start into root growth often long before other spring bulbs, and are sending up leaves well before the first frosts.

If you are planting directly into the ground then they should be cool enough. They can take a lot of heat.

And don't spoil them with good feeding. They just put out tonnes of leaves... :-(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here