Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crinum - Zone 6 - Need planting help

Posted by juliany 6 NY (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 16:43

I was given some crinum - Ellen Bosanquet. I know that I will need to pot them and store for winter here (zone 6) as I've read that digging them up each fall would impact the following bloom season. Not sure why but if this is incorrect let me know.

What is the best type of planting medium to use?
Fertilizer and when to fertilize?
Watering requirements?
How many to plant per pot?
Place mulch on the top?

I plan to store them in our unheated garage during the winter months. What is the lowest temperature they will survive?

Anything else you can recommend?

Thank you!
Julia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crinum - Zone 6 - Need planting help

I can answer part of your questions. It is quite true that disturbing the bulbs will disrupt bloom for a minimum of one year, maybe more, depending on the size of the bulbs. Crinums are tough and grow in a wide range of conditions, but they definitely appreciate good drainage, regular moisture, and fertilizer. I grow mine in the ground and have the best blooms with a fall dressing of composted manure around the bulbs. I also mulch them year round.

Ellen Bosanquet is a beautiful, deep rose crinum that offsets rapidly. This is why it is so easy to find commercially. For me, its drawback is it only blooms once a year, whereas many other crinums bloom continuously for several months each year.
Elizabeth Traub has the same bloom color as Ellen but blooms from early summer till fall for me here.It does offset, but not quickly. I got my original bulbs from a seller on Ebay.

I have not grown crinums in pots for any amount of time, so cannot help you with those questions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here