Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
freesia, sparaxis, etc from dept stores

Posted by aniya z5 IN (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 21, 09 at 16:54

I succombed once again and bought a pkg of freesia and a pkg of tigridia from a home improvement store. Does anyone ever really have success with these? I have very rarely gotten decent germination and yet I continue to fall prey to the pretty packages. Any advice on growing the lesser known bulbs? I dream of bouquets of sparaxis, ixia, freesia, ranunculas, tigridia... you get the picture! I know that none of them are hardy in my area but if they would come up once I would gladly store them over winter.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: freesia, sparaxis, etc from dept stores

Freesias tend to be grown in greenhouse conditions for the florist trade. Although, from surfing around, it seems the really warm zones and Californians have good luck with these and the others mentioned.

But, according to the literature, plant freesia outside in full sunshine so the tops of the bulbs are one and a half inches deep. Plant two to three inches apart in a good soil. Plant in late May in zone 4 or anywhere when the ground is warm enough to plant corn. Flowers should form in mid-to late summer.

Tigridia bulbs are subject to rot with too much water or bad drainage - a sunny dry spot would be best for those.

Ixia, plant in spring in a spot with good drainage.

I always thought sparaxis was a fall planted bulb - wouldn't have a prayer here in zone 4 even though I do see them at Menard's and the other home improvement stores... in the spring.

I've failed and given up on the more "exotic" little bulbs that are sooo tempting with their gorgeous package pictures. Nothing really exotic in my gardens, but the claim to fame is that everything is reliable year after year.

o

I grew Freesia and Ranunculus successfully in Phoenix AZ as perennial bulbs.

o

All the bulbs you mention grow with little care here. For you it is a matter of accommodating the bulbs to grow out of their normal zone. I hope you continue experimenting with them as they are all colorful and satisfying plants. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here