Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
questions about bulbs

Posted by kimcoco Zone 5, Wisconsin (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 20, 09 at 16:55

1. I thought all flowers/bulbs need some sun to bloom?

I have a Dutch Gardens catalog, and some tulips, daffs, etc. have an indicator for full shade. IF I thought they'd bloom in full shade, I'd have planted some tulips along my east facing retaining wall under a huge maple overhead. Though now that I'm thinking out loud, there are no leaves on the tree this time of year. Duh. So I guess they would get SOME sunlight. LOL

2. I have containerized bulbs, some are peeking through. Does it matter if I transplant these to the garden now...will this shock them and prevent them from blooming? Only one hyacinth bloomed which I already moved, and the rest peeking through my container I believe are muscari. Should I wait until they bloom and then move?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: questions about bulbs

If it were me, I would probably wait until they bloom to move them, if you are really hoping to have blooms this year. I move my bulbs all times of the year, but if you're going to be really upset if they decide not to bloom, then it's better to wait. :) Just my two cents.

Oh and I think most bulbs like sun, but I'm sure there's a shade loving bulb out there too. Are hostas considered a bulb? I'm not sure but they love shade! Lol* I bet someone here will come up with something. You are right though, you can plant your tulips under trees because they will be all done by the time your trees get their leaves. Good luck! :)

o
RE: questions about bulbs

1. Like you said, it's ok to plant early-blooming bulbs under decidious trees, since they don't leaf out until later. Yes, the bulbs in full sun are probably a bit more floriferous, since the foliage gets a chance to collect more energy for next year's flowers, but the ones under trees do just fine. I don't really pay a lot of attention to sun/shade requirements when I plant bulbs, and I've never had any issues.

2. If you dig the hole first, then plant quickly without disturbing the soil around the roots, your containerized bulbs will likely do fine. Be sure to water them thoroughly the day before transplanting. If you're really worried, you could sink the whole pot into the ground and then dig and replant later after the foliage has ripened.

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here