Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant ID please

Posted by alabamatreehugger 8a/8b south Alabama (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 18, 11 at 16:57

What is this called? I assume it has a bulb since it looks similar to gladiolus. Apparently this is something my great grandmother planted back in the 50's, but this is the first time I have noticed it since clearing some heavy brush.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant ID please

How pretty and nice you have something that has been in the family for quite a while.

I think they are Byzantine Gladioli.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: images for Byzantine Glads

o

Those are species glads, gladioli byzantium. I tried them, they bloomed once and then petered out. You are very lucky to have such a beautiful flower happily established in your gardens, especially with the family history attached to it.

o

Any idea when would be best time to divide them? I do like them, and would like to have more of them.

That area used to be my great-grandparents front yard/garden, but their old house was moved out in the late 60's. Brush and oaks had taken over, but I cleared much of that out and now I'm finding her old plants still thriving after all those years.

o

I'll hope that someone more experienced will chime in but in the meantime I guess I'll put in my 2 cents....

If they go dormant during the summer I would say transplant as the foliage is yellowing.... if they stay green all summer (like regular glads) I would say wait until fall. But that said, they are probably a hard to kill bulb, so even moving them in early spring when the sprouts are just coming up would probably work just fine.

Try a couple, see how they do, and then tackle the rest if it goes well!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here