Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
crocus not blooming?

Posted by alinitap none (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 13, 11 at 16:59

hi there
i live in the Treasure Valley area (Idaho) and I put in some crocus last fall. they now have plenty of leaves, but no blooms, so I was wondering if anyone knows what's the deal with them... Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: crocus not blooming?

You may have had a rough winter that would cause them to be late (everything I have is about 3 - 4 weeks behind schedule this year), or perhaps the variety of crocus you planted is a later blooming variety? How deep are they planted?

o

Only a few of mine bloomed out of 48 at least. Many are just leaves. I don't get it either. I even let the foilage die down last year on it's own. I planted mine about 3 inches deep too. I did add compost to the bed in fall and pine mulch. Maybe now that makes them too deep?

kentstar

We are also behind schedule here by 3 weeks to a month! Drats, a cold winter!

o

mine were planted about two inches deep, and if that is too deep, then how come they have a ton of good size leaves? I really don't get it. I don't remember the kind they are, I am just a beginner, so I got the biggest pack of bulbs at Costco- whatever variety they were selling last fall- they looked pretty in the picture, and they were promising spring blooms!!
also my hyacinth is acting weird: the blooms start almost under the ground level, and they don't look like they want to move past the closed bloom stage! I wonder if I was supposed to give them some special food??
regarding the depth of bulb planting, I actually read in a gardening book that you can plant them even at 30 inches, they would still grow fine!!! I don't know what to believe anymore...

o

That is normal for Hyacinths, as they grow they will get taller. Though sometimes they do bloom down really low.

No, they normally do not need any special fertilizer though some use a bulb fertilizer when planting.

I've got crocus that come up through years of added mulch just fine.

Our spring here in the PNW is really late, my February Gold daffs which normally do bloom in February didn't until mid March.
FYI I've had trouble with Costco bulbs not being what they were labeled.

o

They will probably bloom fine next year. Maybe something happened to the crocus before you bought them (high temperatures)that killed off the blooms.... or if you have rabbits, they might have eaten the flowers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here