Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steve22802

Need daffodil identification help

steve22802
13 years ago

I'm working on placing labels near all my daffodils (so that I know which is which when I go to divide them this summer) and I've discovered two which were passed along to me that I can't ID from bulb catalogs. I'd appreciate any assistance so that I can write the correct name on the aluminum markers. If anyone can point me to a web site that has an extensive collection of daffodil pictures with cultivar names that would be great too. I think they both belong in Division 3. Here's the photos:

Two layers of white petals with a small orange fringed gold cup.

{{gwi:13773}}

Pale yellow petals with a small gold cup

{{gwi:13774}}

Thanks,

Steve

Comments (9)

• steve22802
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I located a Daffodil Photo Database that has a helpful query system. The second photo seems to match a cultivar called 'Lemon Spice' pretty closely. I still haven't found anything like the first one. It has two distict perianth layers so I think that puts it into division 4. But most div 4 daffodils have a scrunched corona instead of a cup like this one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Daffodil Photo Database

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    13 years ago

Out of the thousands of daff varieties it's hard to ID one unless you have something to go on, like maybe a couple names that it might be and then pick one of those. You could try bringing it to a daff show and see if someone there recognizes it.

It does look similar to lemon spice, and its not easy to find one so close in all those pictures, so that's a pretty impressive find. But.... lemon spice was registered in 2003 and bred in New Zealand. I'm not sure if it would have found it's way to you so quickly unless it was grown alot prior to it being registered.

Still a nice flower though

• paddlehikeva
    13 years ago

They are very nice flowers. The only show left in Virginia this year is the late show the first weekend in May in Reston. I really like the first flower, would you be interested in setting up a trade?

Kathy

• paddlehikeva
    13 years ago

Actually I think the first one might be Mary Copeland. I just did not recognize it facing up. It always looks downward in my garden.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    13 years ago

I really don't think it is Mary Copeland, as that is a 4 w-o....see link below. It has an orange cup and isn't as nicely formed as the one pictured above.

I agree with kato...having just been registered in 2003 in New Zealand, I doubt if that is it.

Is it possible to ask the person who passed them on to you, about their possible source? Big box stores? General bulb merchants...Like Brent and Becky's? Or was it maybe from a Specialty Grower...ie, an individual or company that grows what they sell...Like Mitsch's?

Here is a link that might be useful: Mary Copeland at Daffseek.

• steve22802
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, due to the registration date, the first one is likely not Lemon Spice, but that was the closest color match I could find. Unfortunately the ADS color coding doesn't differentiate between pale yellow and strong yellow/gold. Also it's rather confusing when there are several pictures for a specific cultivar that are not the same color at all. I think more people need to learn how to use the White Balance setting on their cameras before they post pictures to a database like this. It can make a huge difference in color rendering.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    13 years ago

Also it's rather confusing when there are several pictures for a specific cultivar that are not the same color at all.
    Actually part of the reason they appear so differently is because the bloom colors change so much from the time it initially opens until it arrives at its mature colors. Weather, soil, and nutrients can cause the same cultivar to have different coloring from one year to the next.

• paddlehikeva
    13 years ago

I agree that the photo above does not look like the photos in Daffseek for Mary Copeland. And ordinarily Mary Copeland has the same untidy cup as pictured in Daffseek in my garden. However I went out in my garden after seeing this post, I live a little more than an hour away from Steve22802 assuming 22802 is the zipcode, and it looks nearly identical to the photo above. I am no expert, just a slightly educated guess.

Kathy

• steve22802
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, I'm going to go ahead and label them as Mary Copeland and Lemon Spice because they are starting to fade and I need to get them marked before I lose track of what is where. It's better to at least have some kind of label to connect the picture with the clump. Thanks for the help!

- Steve
    Harrisonburg, Virginia